D23 Expo 2017: Disney’s Upcoming Games Line-Up
During a presentation at D23 Expo 2017, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media revealed new details about the biggest games in its upcoming slate, and offered first-looks at never-before-seen digital experiences. Hosted by YouTube stars JackSepticEye and Strawburry17, the presentation included discussions with developers from Star Wars™ Battlefront™, KINGDOM HEARTS III, Marvel’s Spider-Man, plus groundbreaking VR and AR gaming experiences for Marvel and Star Wars™.
Highlights from the presentation include:
- KINGDOM HEARTS III: Square Enix’s famed game director Tetsuya Nomura, revealed KINGDOM HEARTS III will feature the franchise’s first-ever Disney•Pixar world, “Toy Story,” featuring an original story developed exclusively for the game. Disney and Square Enix also surprised fans with the news that the game will release in 2018.
- MARVEL Powers United VR: Marvel and Oculus announced MARVEL Powers United VR, a first-person, multiplayer, action virtual reality game where players team up with friends to engage in immersive, explosive cooperative fights from across the Marvel Universe. YouTube star Markiplier made a surprise appearance, as he and Head of Oculus Studios, Steve Arnold, offered the crowd a first look at gameplay.
- Star Wars Augmented Reality Experience: A new chapter in Star Wars experiences was introduced, as Disney and Lenovo gave a first glimpse at a new augmented reality product designed to give fans an opportunity to recapture some of their favorite moments from Star Wars films in ways never before possible.
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Star Wars Battlefront II is bringing an all new hero into the fold with the introduction of Iden Versio, Commander of the Imperial special forces team known as the Inferno Squad. Fans were treated to an appearance by the game’s lead actress Janina Gavankar, who plays Iden, and a member of the Lucasfilm Story Group, Steve Blank. In addition to discussing the single player campaign that tells a story from the unique perspective of the empire, Janina and Steve introduced a new behind-the-scenes look at the development of this original Star Wars story featured in the game.
- Marvel Entertainment: Bill Rosemann, Executive Creative Director, Marvel Games, showcased Marvel’s strong portfolio of games, including a behind-the-scenes look at Marvel’s Spider-Man with Bryan Intihar, Creative Director at Insomniac Games, a new character in LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes 2, and highlighted gameplay opportunities in the Marvel Pavilion from other popular games, including Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Marvel Future Fight, Marvel Puzzle Quest, Marvel Heroes Omega, and more.