Back-To-School Eyewear Tips & Trends For Children
With 80 percent of learning coming through the eyes according to Think About Your Eyes, this back-to-school season, it’s more important than ever to make sure kids are equipped with the correct eyewear for their unique vision needs that will make them feel confidently cool – both in and out of the classroom.
This season, The Vision Council is encouraging parents to be proactive about their children’s eye health. The process to finding the perfect pair of frames for kiddos starts with parents making an appointment for an annual eye exam with an eyecare provider for their youngsters, even if they don’t feel their child requires a prescription. As per Think About Your Eyes, 24 percent of parents wait for their children to have symptoms before taking them to an eyecare provider, which can be problematic because kids don’t understand what “normal” vision entails.
Why wait? Whether a child is in the classroom, on the playground, or at home after school, eyeglasses and sunglasses ought to be their go-to accessories. After all, eyewear can be used to do the following:
- Correct a vision problem (according to a survey by The Vision Council, American adults report about 13.2 million children and teens use prescription glasses);
- Shield the eyes from the sun’s damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays (children generally receive about three times the annual amount of UV exposure from the sun than adults, yet according to a survey by The Vision Council, only 52.1 percent of American adults report their children wear sunglasses);
- Prevent the symptoms of digital eye strain (according to a survey by The Vision Council, 76.5 percent of American adults report their children spend two or more hours per day on a digital device, which can put a strain on their eyes).
Not only is eyewear a health necessity, but it can also be used to help children express their personal styles. Letting little ones join in on the fun and pick their own frames will allow them the opportunity to choose a style they’ll want to wear. Keep in mind there are great kid-friendly options out there like frames made of durable materials, frames with adjustable elements, and even removable straps to keep the eyewear in place amid the hustle and bustle of a tot’s everyday activities.
Available in some of the season’s most popular colors, shapes and design accents, there are endless fashion-forward eyewear and sunwear options that kids will be excited to wear, while meeting their health and lifestyle needs. The Vision Council’s Eyecessorize campaign – which promotes the fashion and lifestyle aspects of eyewear – is the go-to source for the fall/winter 2017 eyewear trends for children. Upcoming trends include:
- Colors – A collection of vibrant hues including bright pinks, vivacious purples, saturated greens and teals, plus sunshine yellows, fiery reds and cerulean blues with staple blacks and grays;
- Shapes – An assortment of smart rectangles, glamorous cat-eyes, retro-reminiscent rounds, playful heart-shapes and sporty wraparound profiles, plus varying mature aviators, easygoing squares and familiar Clubmaster-inspired silhouettes;
- Details – An abundance of candy-colored marble, striped, polka dot and animal prints, plus glamourous stone embellishments and sweet ombré effects, in addition to rainbow-infused color blocking, old-school keyhole bridges, tough camo, distressed denim, flash lenses and understated metal temple accents.