Flavorful Fourth of July with Star-Spangled Treats and Eats
What says Independence Day more than watermelon, popsicles and smoky chicken? The McCormick Kitchens have created a dazzling, patriotic parade of tasty red, white and blue recipes – from star-shaped watermelon caprese skewers to adult-friendly frozé popsicles– to turn your sunshine-filled outdoor gathering into the food spread of the year.
“Nobody wants to be stuck in a kitchen on the Fourth,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “Our recipes are grill friendly, no-bake or simple to make ahead. Take the Firework Poke Cake – poke holes in a red-colored cake, fill it with blue pudding and frost it. Bring popping rock candy with you to the firework celebration and sprinkle overtop the slices as you’re serving. The candy pops in your mouth like fireworks!”
Mains from Land or Sea:
- Mexican Chipotle Shrimp Skewers: Combine your favorite Mexican lager with Grill Mates® Mexican-Style Chipotle Marinade Mix, brown sugar and lime juice for a spicy, citrusy glaze and marinade for shrimp.
- Beer Marinated Flank Steak with Blue Cheese Chimichurri: Roasted garlic + stout beer = the perfect marinade for steak. Grill and serve with a simple blue-cheese chimichurri.
- White BBQ Sauce with Smoky Chicken: Turn your gas or charcoal grill into a smoker by adding soaked wood chips, then rub chicken parts with Grill Mates® Applewood Rub for extra smoky flavor. Serve with white bbq sauce – the south’s tangy little secret!
Sizzlin’ Stars and Stripes Sides:
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon: Skip the hot kitchen and let your slow cooker do the work. Season pinto beans and bacon with a variety of spices including ground mustard, garlic powder and cinnamon.
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Cornbread: This simple recipe for sweet, cheesy cornbread cooks in the slow cooker for a couple hours while you’re grilling. Perfect for transporting to parties!
- Charred Sweet Potatoes & Summer Vegetables: Seasoned with both smoked paprika and garlic salt, sweet potatoes and chorizo get charred in the cast iron pan on the hot grill.
- Grilled and Loaded Smashed Potatoes: Smash potatoes right in the cast iron skillet, then load ’em with a smoky bacon and bell pepper mix seasoned with Grill Mates® Bacon Chipotle Seasoning and cheddar cheese. Char until melted and top with green onions and sour cream. Dig in!
- Marinated Watermelon Caprese Skewers: A fun twist on classic caprese, watermelon stars are soaked in an herby basil balsamic marinade and skewered with mild white cheese and prosciutto.
Oh Say Can You See the Dessert Table:
- Frozé Pops: Start with a base of creamy coconut milk, then spike your favorite rosé with lime and raspberry extracts. The hardest part is waiting for it to freeze!
- Firework Poke Cake: ‘Poke’ fun with this moist, colorful pudding poke cake. Top with popping rock candy for a firework finish in your mouth.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stars: Make cookie dough the star of your sundae. These easy to make – and eat – chilled cookie dough stars contain no flour or eggs.
- Red, White, and Blue No Bake Cheesecake: A luscious vanilla-flavored cream cheese filling sits atop a buttery, cinnamon graham cracker crust. Swirled dollops of colored filling add a festive and sweet finishing touch!