The Newest Way To Travel To Cuba: Active Vacations
Now the words “vacation” and “active” can be synonymous. Insightcuba is offering Americans the chance to run in the Havana Marathon and explore the island nation of Cuba on their Havana Marathon Tours. These tours are specifically designed for an emerging group of travelers who seek both the physical and mental challenges travel can offer. “Travelers don’t just want to relax anymore,” says President of insightCuba Tom Popper. “They want adventure, they want the next big thing, and running a marathon in Cuba is it.”
With over 17 years in the Cuba travel business, insightCuba has positioned itself as the official travel provider for the Havana Marathon and has a pulse on Cuba unlike anyone else. “As the pioneer in people-to-people travel in Cuba, we’re always looking to push the limits, and creating active vacations was the obvious next step. These vacations allow participants to travel and immerse themselves in another culture while continuing their active lifestyle.”
The Havana 10K, Half & Full Marathon is one of the Americas’ most exceptional races. The route winds through magnificent avenues lining UNESCO World Heritage sites, and passes places of historic interest, including the famous Malecón, a roadway and seawall that stretches along the coast of the capital city from Old Havana to the vibrant Vedado neighborhood. Along the way, runners can take in the sights: the famous Hotel Nacional de Cuba, expansive Revolution Square, and the monument to national hero José Martí. The course takes runners through the Parque Central, a hub of Havana’s social activity, and passes the impressive El Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro and the Castillo de la Real Fuerza, which protect Havana’s beautiful harbor.
The day before the race, insightCuba runners and companions may also participate in the MaraCuba 3K fun run or walk, which occurs simultaneously in every Cuban province. It’s a must-see as residents and children join the crowd of runners making their way through Old Havana. Afterwards, participants join the post-race parade, which, like so many things in Cuba, features music and dancing.
In addition to the race, runners and companions will have time for self-guided people-to-people encounters. They’ll view Old Havana’s cobblestone streets and sixteenth-century Spanish colonial architecture, and learn about the country’s culture and history.
On the Havana Marathon 8-Day Cool Down Tour guests will enjoy all of the above and travel beyond the capital city into Cuba’s magnificent countryside. Here guests will explore some of Cuba’s virgin natural treasures in the western province of Pinar del Río, known for its undisturbed red-earth pastures, rustling tobacco fields, and Viñales National Park, often described as the Yosemite of Cuba.
The 4-day Havana Marathon Tour, November 17-20, costs $1,995 per runner and $1,895 for companions, double occupancy. The 8-day Cool Down Tour, November 17-24, costs $4,695 per runner or companion, double occupancy. Guests who register before May 1, 2017 receive a $150 early bird discount.
InsightCuba Marathon Tours include:
* Superior accommodations at the Meliá Cohiba, on the famous Malecón
* Private insightCuba concierge to facilitate your in-country experience fueled by people-to-people activities
* Marabana Havana 10K half and full marathon entry fee and bib and private race check-in by insightCuba (runners only)
* Welcome cocktail reception, orientation, and address by Havana Marathon race director and insightCuba staff
* All in-country ground transportation to races, and airport transfers via luxury motor coach
* All entrance fees to scheduled activities and events
* Travel health insurance, emergency medical evacuation and trip-cancellation coverage (up to $1,000)
* InsightCuba travel guidebook
* 24-hour emergency customer-service hotline
* Gratuities for luggage handling and breakfast
* U.S. Department of the Treasury travel certification
For more information about the Havana Marathon tours and other insightCuba tours, visit www.insightcuba.com or call 800-450-CUBA