“Night Before” Scrambled Eggs Recipe
“Night Before” Scrambled Eggs
Serves 6 to 8 people
This recipe was created by Katie Davin’s Aunt Sue. It was first published in Devon Country Fare (1980) a community cookbook established as a fund-raiser for the Bryn Mawr Hospital (PA), in partnership with the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair. Every recipe was tested three times.
3 slices soft bread, cut into small cubes (about 2 cups)
1 ¾ cups milk
8 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste
½ pound Swiss cheese, sliced
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Combine bread cubes and milk. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, reserve milk.
- Combine milk with eggs and whisk together with salt and pepper.
- Grease a shallow 9″X13″ baking dish with soft butter or cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, pour in the eggs and scramble until soft. Add the bread cubes.
- Turn the egg mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with cheese slices and crumbled bacon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in a preheated 400º oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cut in squares to serve.
Katie Davin is an associate professor in the College of Hospitality Management at Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I. She is a Certified Hospitality Educator with both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Hotel Administration from Cornell University.