New Year’s Eve travel – Where to go, and getting there cheap
New Year’s Eve is synonymous with fireworks, countdowns, midnight kisses and incredible celebrations around the world. A recent survey of more than 1,000 Americans1 revealed nearly 20 percent of Americans may travel for the holiday this year, and nearly a quarter plan to be away for more than ten days. To help travelers kiss 2017 goodbye in style, Expedia® data experts have compiled everything travelers need to know about when to book, where to go and how to get the best deals.
When to Book
Expedia.com® data2 shows that travelers in the U.S. should book NYE travel 21-30 days in advance to save around five percent on airfares. This is one instance where planning too far in advance might actually hurt you – travelers who book more than 90 days out paid the most, almost 10 percent more than average ticket prices.
- Cheapest time to book: between November 26 and December 5
- Most expensive times to book: prior to September 27, and between December 20 and December 26
10 NYE Destinations Under $400
Though fireworks and festivities are a big draw for NYE travelers, according to survey respondents, the number one factor when choosing a destination for the holiday is the cost of airfare and accommodations. For those looking for a memorable trip that doesn’t clean out their bank account, these are 10 of the cheapest destinations for NYE:3
- Seattle – average ticket price of $309
- Salt Lake City – average ticket price of $341
- Phoenix – average ticket price of $342
- Denver – average ticket price of $342
- Tampa – average ticket price of $347
- San Francisco – average ticket price of $361
- Fort Lauderdale – average ticket price of $362
- Nassau – average ticket price of $369
- Mexico City – average ticket price of $372
- Los Angeles – average ticket price of $377
10 Most Popular Destinations for NYE
Roughly half of survey respondents traveling for NYE plan to remain stateside, and these are the destinations predicted to be the most popular for NYE, based on 2016 flight data:2
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Fort Lauderdale
- San Francisco
- Washington D.C.
Trending Destinations for NYE 2017
For travelers looking for up-and-coming spots to ring in the New Year, Expedia data reveals trending destinations4 that are seeing a boost in interest this year but are still off the well-trod path for NYE:
- Philadelphia – 500 percent increase in interest
- Hong Kong – 465 percent increase in interest
- Bogota – 365 percent increase in interest
- Nashville – 235 percent increase in interest
- New Orleans – 170 percent increase in interest
- Montego Bay – 170 percent increase in interest
- Bozeman – 160 percent increase in interest
- Bangkok – 130 percent increase in interest
- Punta Cana – 65 percent increase in interest
- Honolulu – 50 percent increase in interest
More Ways to Save
Travelers can snap up even more savings by signing in or becoming an Expedia+ Rewards member, earning points and unlocking access to members only deals and perks. Members save 10 percent or more instantly on select hotels, just by signing in.
For more information visit https://www.expedia.com/Deals.
1Survey commissioned by Expedia during September 2017 and conducted by Google Consumer Surveys, polling more than 1,000 respondents, aged 18-65+, located in the U.S.
2Data based on a 2016 booking window and a 26-31 December 2016 travel window.
3ATPs based on all coach, roundtrip flights from the U.S. with search dates of June 25 – September 25, 2017 and a departure window of December 30 or 31, 2017 as of September 27.
4Trending destinations based on demand between January 1 – June 30, 2017 with a travel window of December 30, 2017 – January 1, 2018, compared to the same time period in 2016.