Tony Chachere’s Easy Gumbo Recipe is a Spicy Twist on a Southern Staple
The seasons are changing and the temperatures are cooling down, and that can only mean one thing in Louisiana and throughout the south – gumbo season! October is the unofficial start of gumbo season. With gumbo being a staple in southern kitchens, Tony Chachere’s Easy Gumbo is the only recipe you’ll need. It’s easy to make and sure to please with its spicy kick.
Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Cuisine® has been a fixture for decades in kitchens across the nation, with a particular presence in the Southeast. While its authentic lines of Creole products are top-notch for get-togethers of all kinds, its seasonings are must-have items for the best pots of gumbo. It takes just a few greens, meat of your choice, and, of course, Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux Mix, Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning and Tony Chachere’s Gumbo Filé.
Tony Chachere’s Easy Gumbo Recipe
Ingredients (serves six)
1 Whole Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 Whole Large Onion, Chopped
3 Celery Sticks, Chopped
¼ Tsp. Minced Garlic
10 Cups Water
1 Cup Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux Mix
2-3 Lbs. Chicken & ½ Lb. Sliced Smoked Sausage or 1 Lb. Deveined Shrimp & 1 Lb. Crab Meat
1 Can Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
1 Can Tony Chachere’s Creole Gumbo Filé
- Spray non-stick spray in stockpot and sauté vegetables until soft.
- In the same pot, add Tony Chachere’s Instant Roux Mix – combine 1 cup Roux Mix with 2 cups water. Bring to boil.
- After mixture begins to thicken, reduce heat to low and stir for 3 minutes. Add in remaining water.
- For chicken and sausage gumbo, add meat and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender.
- For seafood gumbo, bring roux mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add shrimp and crab meat and return to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season gumbo to taste with Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning.
- Ladle gumbo over steamed rice and garnish with chopped green onions and Tony Chachere’s Creole Gumbo Filé.